8 Reasons Why Kids Should Play Lego

Sometime in December 2015, my eldest daughter got a Lego set as a Christmas gift from one of her classmates. Since then, she became addicted to it, prompting us to buy this – img_7617Lego can be a bit pricey, but my husband and I saw how much our kids enjoy playing and building whatever they can – house, buildings, cars, animals, and even “lollipops.” At the same time, we realized that playing with Lego brings the following benefits:

1) Keeps the Child Busy

This is, by far, the most important reason why you should encourage Lego activity. Haha! Living in a yaya-less household, I always make it a point to keep my kids busy so I can get things done at home or finish my work. Thankfully, my kids can play for hours with Lego and even incorporate other toys in it as they build their “world.”

2) Encourages Creativity and Imagination

The first time I saw my eldest daughter build something out of Lego (she was just three back then), I was surprised. I can’t believe how kids can be so creative. img_1563My youngest daughter, who just turned three this June, was also showing her creative side, building her “house.”

House, according to my three-year old
House, according to my three-year old

This is what I like about Lego. It allows them to imagine and be able to translate their imagination into something more creative. It encourages them to think outside the box, imagine things apart from what they usually see, and turn into a work of art. It makes the child feel proud of herself as well, knowing that she was able to build something, using my daughters’ term, amazing.

3) Teaches the Kids to Experiment

"Hospital," according to my eldest
“Hospital,” according to my eldest

Apart from enhancing a child’s creativity and imagination, playing Lego encourages the kids to experiment on their own – and I’ve seen it in my kids. I saw how my kids made their version of house and hospital without following any guide. They made their own cars, buildings, classroom for Peppa Pig and friends, and even used it for their Sylvanian Family.

This is what I like about my kids playing Lego. They are able to think outside the box, discover and experiment on their own, and have fun.

4) Boosts Motor Development, Especially Fine Motor Skills

My kids skipped Duplo and jumped to classic Lego after playing with Mega Blocks. I was a bit concerned on whether they, especially my youngest, can handle small pieces and stack them to make something. Thankfully, she was was able to handle it.14500570_1334989189874475_601800943788640699_oThat is the beauty of Lego. It enhances a child’s motor development, particularly fine motor skills, which they can use later in life and perform important tasks such as writing and feeding themselves.

5) Better Organizational Skills while Teaching Them to Be Patient

I’ve seen this particularly with my eldest daughter. At four (as of this writing), she patiently follows the instructions on how to make a something out of Lego using the Lego guide included in the set. I was surprised that she is willing to spend time building anything she can think of and not ask for my help – unless she can’t find a piece. dsc02412In other words, letting kids play with Lego enhances their organizational skills, encourages them to follow instructions, and more importantly, teaches them to be patient until they finish a particular task.

6) Develops the Value of Sharing

I can’t afford to buy one set each for my kids because let’s face it – Lego comes with a hefty price tag. My kids fight from time to time over a particular piece or who gets the biggest base plate, but most of the time, they share. This leads to teamwork and cooperation between them, which is also a good thing.

For me, this is an important value we need to instill in our kids. It teaches kids that in giving something to others, they will also get something they want in return for their good deed. img_66537) Teaches Kids to Appreciate Simple Things

I will never forget the first time I saw my eldest daughter build her first house. I will also never forget the first time she made something without following the guide. There will always be that smile in my kids’ faces when they were able to build something.

In other words, I’ve seen how my kids appreciate the things they do and what surrounds them. They find joy even in the pencil that they made and pretended that they were writing. What they made out of Lego may not be as grand as what they see on TV and yet, they are already happy about it. This is a good reminder for us as well to not underestimate even the littlest things in life.

8) Great Bonding Activity between Kids and Parents

Excuse the "pambahay" look. LOL
Excuse the “pambahay” look. LOL

I must admit, I am not the most creative person in the world. I can’t draw and my kids even color better than me. What I like about playing with Lego is that I can be creative (thanks to the guide!) – and my kids appreciate it. It became our bonding activity, although their dad is so much  better with Lego. We can make houses and buildings and cars and play it with their other toys and have a great time. It doesn’t matter if I’m not the best Lego maker in the world. With my kids, I already am and that is enough.

I just hope that Lego will have more options for girls apart from Friends and Disney princesses. After all, #girlsplaylegotoo

1. Berlin

January 3, 2017 at 4:27 am

My boys got a lot of lego toys and I agree. Lego helped them be creative and more. They could play with it the whole day and in between, I could hear giggles and laughter. Now that they are big boys already, I still keep their lego toys for their younger brother to play with.

Your kids are really creative. I love the house and the hospital 🙂

2. Cris Evert Lato Ruffolo

January 3, 2017 at 7:10 am

My children love playing building blocks (not necessarily Lego). They really enjoy it especially my three-year-old girl Antoinette. I think it teaches them to be creative aside from encouraging them to be patient and perceptive. 🙂

3. Liezl

January 3, 2017 at 8:30 am

I totally agree with you. Though lego may be a bit pricey, I trust the brand since it was here for as long as I can remember. I had to really save up as my daughter collects the Star Wars Lego edition, and boy it isn’t cheap. Haha!

4. Lhourdes Mercadero

January 3, 2017 at 3:56 pm

Chelsea also loves to play with her Lego. I always make sure to buy her evrymonth to add in her collection.

5. Iris @ Earth Love Skin

January 3, 2017 at 4:54 pm

I’ve seen the Lego fad come and go, and recently come again. I used to play Lego when I was young and now that I have a 2-year-old daughter, I think I’ll buy her her set when she knows how to handle them. At this moment, she might just put them on her mouth – or rather, I might just step on them! Ouch!

6. Pinknomenal

January 3, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Playing Lego brings out the creativity and enhances the critical thinking of a child. By letting them build blocks, we’re allowing them to create their own piece. 🙂

7. mamaspeaksagain

January 3, 2017 at 11:38 pm

My boys are so much into Lego toys too. They are so fascinated of then brand, that me and my husband decided to bring them to Legoland in Malaysia. The grins on their faces were priceless.

8. nilyncartagena

January 4, 2017 at 12:57 am

My son loves to play lego as well! And I completely agree on all the reasons here. It also lessens their “screen time”, really beneficial. ♥

9. nocturnalmomtalks

January 4, 2017 at 5:40 am

I’d love to buy a lego set for my baby boy. I know it will tickle his imagination and it’s a good way for him to be busy so I can finish my tasks at home. Thanks for.sharing this 🙂

10. Nerisa

January 4, 2017 at 8:03 am

I always have a problem with Lego. I love to play with it and “build” it myself while my little boy watches. hahaha

11. momsterteacher

January 4, 2017 at 10:09 am

I hate Lego, to be honest. They’re messy, they keep turning up everywhere and when you stop on one–OMG HONG SAKIIIIT!!!

But we still buy Lego for Raviv because of the things you said. And you may also add that Lego is timeless. Boy or girl, pwede. Preschooler, grade schooler, tween, high school college and heck, even my husband likes playing Lego! 🙂

January 7, 2017 at 11:17 am

Yes, timeless nga 🙂 My husband still has his Lego when he was young. Ayaw lang namin ibigay sa kids since it will add up to the mess :))

12. Neri Ann

January 5, 2017 at 3:47 am

My kids received a few lego gifts last Christmas but I won’t let them play with it yet. Medyo hindi pa kasi appropriate young age nila to play with it. I’ll keep it away muna and Im sure maeenjoy nila yun pagtungtong nila sa tamang edad. 🙂

13. EINz

January 7, 2017 at 7:51 am

My son is also addicted to lego, this is the only toy that he loves playing for 3years already. Our recent buy was lego starwars to add up to his collection. I was also hooked up to those cute interesting pieces, he had this laptop, mug, magnifier… and even a gun that shoots! (imagine tiny gun that has bullet.. cuteness!

The child’s imagination and creativity with this toy has no limits. I just close my eyes every time my daughter tipped over her kuya’s lego box. It was a real mess!

14. Melisa Sanchez

January 7, 2017 at 8:33 am

I’d love to buy a lego for my toddler, I think he likes it. Hope he will not throw it anywhere and destroy it. But I know it’s part of their growing up. I will add this for my bucket list next month. Thanks for sharing!

15. May De Jesus-Palacpac

January 7, 2017 at 11:49 pm

My kids have a huge boxful of Legos, thanks to friends who passed them down to us. It does keep my kids busy for hours when I work and takes them off the gadgets, too.

16. TweenselMom

January 8, 2017 at 10:09 am

In my other world, I’ll have a room of my own to display all the Legos I’ve built. Thanks for reminding me of my other love.

17. Mary G

January 8, 2017 at 11:37 am

When my baby boy attended Biogenic event, he has fallen in love with Legos! And now that he has a wider playground after we moved in, I must buy him a set 🙂 Thanks for this informational post Mommy!

January 8, 2017 at 1:07 pm

I agree with all these. My son love Legos too and he has so many of them! He is able to create so many things that I can’t even imagine myself creating. Galing talaga.

19. Momma Mitch

January 8, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Nako, kailangan ko na rin i-introduce ang Lego sa toddler ko as I am yaya-less, WAHM! Hehe. Pero si hubby medyo against pa kasi wala pang 2 y/o si LO. Siguro we’ll try to bring him in the mall. Meron akong nakitang parang play area na may Lego. We’ll see how he plays with it. If papansinin nga ba nya. Lalo na at magaganda ang benefit neto sa kanila. Wag lang hahayaan na nakakalat kasi kawawa naman ang paa nating mga parents. Haha 😉

20. Maria Teresa Gregorio-Figuerres

January 8, 2017 at 3:04 pm

We love Lego! Our 10-year-old has his own Lego collection. I prefer this toy over gadgets as I don’t want him to just spend all of his idle time playing online games.

21. Liz Aquino

January 8, 2017 at 4:50 pm

I grew up playing Lego with friends and I have been a fan of it since then though we never really had our own since, as you’ve said, it came with hefty price even back in those days, but I am planning to get a set for my little boy in the future, when he has further developed his fine motor skills and when he stops trying to put anything in his mouth! 😀

22. Teresa Dumadag

January 9, 2017 at 2:40 am

My kids love Lego! I love it, too, because of the many benefits you mentioned above. I also love that they can spend hours just playing Lego. This affords me time to cook our meals. 😉

23. Mommy Queenelizabeth

January 9, 2017 at 4:51 am

My son and daughter loves lego. They were spoiled in buying those stuffs but it doesn’t matter coz i can see how they do it creatively for hours and it just keeps me busy as well with my own things while they play..

24. Claire Pajarillo Santiago

January 9, 2017 at 1:43 pm

You are right Mommy, Lego helps in the development of the kids. I am glad that my three kids love to play with it. But Lego is expensive that’s why my kids only have few of them…

25. May Castillo

January 9, 2017 at 11:45 pm

Yeah! I realy wish Lego will have more sets for girls! My daughter loves Lego to the max! She can spend her day building and playing with these tiles and it’s always on top of her wish list during her birthdays and Christmas.

26. Mommy Levy

January 10, 2017 at 1:28 am

I agree with all the things you’ve said, at magandang investment ang Lego 🙂 ang hirap lang magligpit especially pag maliliit yung parts.

January 15, 2017 at 7:47 pm

My daughter doesn’t like Lego so there was never any Lego at home.