Family Week at Gymboree Preschool

Valentine Week is often Family Week in my daughter’s school. Instead of the usual hearts and chocolates, they culminate the week-long activities with Family Day, usually every Friday. There are family games, a presentation from the students, and capped off by salu-salo.

This year, GPS decided to do it differently and made it more personal. From February 13 to 17, each family of the Pre-K class will pick a day and share activities usually done at home. As part of the activities, each family is invited to spend the rest of the morning together with the kids. This way, we can see how class is being conducted and the things they usually do inside the room. At first, I found this hassle since I am not the most creative person to come up with great ideas. One mom in my daughter’s class suggested Timezone or a trip to the bookstore, though this wasn’t allowed, probably due to safety/security concerns.

So, I sticked to my initial idea: baking.

The kids love to bake and although it made baking time longer, I enjoyed seeing their tiny hands pouring flour or mixing the batter. I plan to make either cake or cupcakes and have the kids put frosting and make their own decoration. Unfortunately, virus struck at home and I need to attend to my kids first, so time for plan B. Thankfully, I saw a friend’s post about what they did in her daughter’s school: waffle making. I figured this is easier to do and surely, kids will love it. Plus, I don’t need to bake beforehand, so waffle making it is.

Our Version of Family Day

My eldest daughter was excited about the Family Day since she wanted to do waffles with her classmates. I just used waffle mix from Maya and bought bananas, frozen berries, and chocolate chips for their toppings. I brought maple syrup and chocolate syrup as well, since I’m not sure what the kids like most.

When we arrived in school, I was surprised to see how noisy and energetic my daughter is in class. She was not the typical shy girl anymore and according to her teachers, she can easily adjust in case there are new faces.

After Exploration Time, they proceeded to Circle Time where they sing songs, introduce theirselves in front of the class, and dance among others. I requested that our waffle-making activity be after the Circle Time so the kids can have it as a snack. I was happy with the positive response from the kids. The kids had fun cutting bananas while my daughter helped me make the batter. Being the energetic kids, they can’t wait to eat waffles already and keep telling their teacher how hungry they are – in a funny way. When I finally served the waffles, the kids had fun and enjoyed eating their share. Some of my daughter’s classmates even had three waffles since they were hungry daw. This activity lasted for almost an hour and after finishing their food, they went to “sleep.” My Little J joined this activity and was even lying on the mats with Ate and her classmates. Overall, I enjoyed how Family Day went. I saw how GPS conducts classes, witnessed the changes, mostly positive, in my eldest’s attitude and disposition when in school, and how the school helped in character building and formation of kids. It may not be the usual Hearts Day party, but I’m glad GPS was able to come up with this activity. After all, Valentine’s Day is not just for lovers, right?

1. Chessy

March 7, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Any cooking or baking activity with kids is fun and messy! Looks like the kids had a blast, good job Mommy!

2. Korai | www.hellokorai.com

March 8, 2017 at 12:38 am

Looks like a great way to celebrate Vday!

3. amethystineblue81882

March 8, 2017 at 1:03 am

I enjoy these kiddo activities! In fact when my eldest was still in preschool, mas excited pa ako sa kanya! Yup I agree that sometimes, hassle nga. But be thankful na lang din that Gymboree has activities like that for the kids. From what I’ve heard, sa ibang preschools halos wala. And for me, it’s no fun at all.

4. Jenelyn Palogod-UboΓ±gen

March 8, 2017 at 9:20 am

Eating activities will surely be fun no matter how simple it is! Inantok yung mga kids, malamang busog! :))

5. mamaspeaksagain

March 8, 2017 at 10:29 am

The kids looked like they had a wonderful time making waffles. This is such a fruitful day bonding with your child. I am sure it will be cherished.

6. Michi (@michisolee)

March 8, 2017 at 11:29 pm

My son is in grade school na so wala ng mga ganitong activity. Nakakamiss na rin yung pagpunta sa school pag may mga event.

7. Josephine

March 9, 2017 at 1:13 am

The kiddos surely had a great time! Congrats sis for a job well dine! πŸ™‚

8. RJ Dancel

March 9, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Wow! This is so cool! When my son’s old enough, I’ll try doing this! Great job <3

9. Momma Mitch

March 10, 2017 at 12:29 am

There have been a lot of good feedbacks talaga for Gymboree. I have a few mommy friends from a support group of mommies I am a member of, whom have already enrolled their toddlers in Gymboree’s playschool and so far, their toddlers are doing pretty well. I was meaning to do it na rin but it’s still not in our budget since manganganak pa ako sa summer. Hopefully, by then, maka-adjust na kami and mai-enroll ko rin si little kuya sa Gymboree. πŸ˜€ Anyway, nakakatuwa talaga ang mga bagets ma-excite! Natawa ako sa classmates ng anak mo na naka-tatlong waffle pa. Iba rin talaga ang appetite nilang mga bata basta excited sila sa pagkain eh. Hahaha

March 10, 2017 at 4:28 am

Hehehe. I wasn’t expecting that kind of appetite from the kids. Hindi na tuloy ako naka-share sa mga teachers kasi naubos nila :))

10. Mommy Levy

March 11, 2017 at 12:20 pm

looks like a fun and educational event. Good job kids πŸ™‚

11. Maan Laxa

March 11, 2017 at 1:43 pm

That seems like a really fun event! And that last picture just looks super adorable and sweet. I’m sure that was an awesome learning experience for all of you!

12. Rowena Wendy Lei

March 11, 2017 at 2:45 pm

I don’t like celebrating Valentines Day because most of the activities are overpriced and overrated. So yeah, this is definitely better.

13. Teresa Martinez

March 12, 2017 at 12:39 am

This just goes to show that kids can indeed have fun and learn with activities like baking and what better way to do it than in a safe place like Gymboree.

14. Malot

March 12, 2017 at 7:03 am

One of my daughters attended a Montessori preschool and they had those kinds of activities, too. I, myself, was also more excited kapag may ganyang mga events sila. πŸ™‚

15. Joy Domingo Gurtiza

March 12, 2017 at 9:04 am

Wow! That’s cool, it takes a lot of time for sure but looks like it was all worth your while! Good job! πŸ™‚

16. Bernadette Siazon

March 12, 2017 at 11:46 am

oh what fun! It’s nice that the school encourages the involvement of parents in their activities. This way, parents can also see how their kids behave and interact at school.

17. Mommy Queenelizabeth

March 12, 2017 at 11:56 am

Gymboree is a bery good environment for the kids. That cooking class seems to be very enjoyable! Can’t wait for my little one to come out and grow big and i will take hime to classes like that! πŸ™‚

March 12, 2017 at 2:56 pm

Such a cute activity. My daughters also had similar school activities back when they were in preschool and I always loved joining them.

19. Abby

March 12, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Looks fun! I can’t wait to enrol my daughter to a preschool πŸ™‚

20. Nini Perez

March 12, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Super fun! I would have loved a baking/cooking activity din if I were a kid. It’s a great thing that preschools nowadays are mixing activities like this in their curriculum. Kids need life skills too.

March 12, 2017 at 7:14 pm

It’s fun to bake and cook with the kids because kids love eating as well!! Great idea!

22. Maria Teresa Gregorio-Figuerres

March 12, 2017 at 11:44 pm

What a unique Family Day! So nice of Gymboree to come up with something fun and exciting for the entire family to do in school.

23. Berlin | Momi Berlin

March 13, 2017 at 12:04 am

The baking part was fun. And so was the “sleep” part. Glad your little darling participated and wasn’t shy. Surely the class would build her confidence.

24. den

March 13, 2017 at 7:52 am

Looks like your daughter had so much fun! This makes me look forward to Bunny’s preschool classes!

25. Macy Santos

March 13, 2017 at 2:38 pm

The school surely know how to integrate family values with schooling in a classroom setting. Great experience for the little ones. And the pancake is always a hit among kids and adults too.

26. May De Jesus-Palacpac

March 15, 2017 at 4:09 am

Great idea to have waffle time right before snack time. Kids love making meals and eating them too1

27. TweenselMom

March 17, 2017 at 10:26 am

I have heard good things about Gymboree, and that the kids enjoy the place and the activities a lot. Good deciion for the school to have a celebration there.

28. Cheanne

March 28, 2017 at 3:39 am

I love personal touches like this which lets you catch a glimpse of how other families are. I wonder what I’ll offer to do if I were in your shoes. Certainly not baking, as I haven’t tried it. Hehe! Crafting maybe. πŸ™‚