Gymboree Preschool’s Walking Trip

Walking Trip 15Last Friday, October 9, my daughter’s preschool had a walking trip around the mall. Since the second quarter is about community helpers, the purpose of the walking trip is to get to know and see firsthand what community helpers do such as dentists, bakers, barbers, etc. At the same time, it is a good opportunity to apply what they learned in school.

First Stop: Grocery

A and her classmates waiting outside the supermarket
A and her classmates waiting outside the supermarket

The kids went around the Landmark Supermarket and introduced the concept of grocery, cashier, and security guards among others. They toured around the grocery and the teachers allowed the kids to identify the fruits, veggies, chicken, meat, and anything else they could see inside. Walking Trip 2To extend learning, Teacher D gave a checklist to find food or things that starts with T, D, G, E, N, and I. Walking Trip 4My daughter had fun going around the grocery, looking for food that starts with the assigned letter and getting everything on the checklist. We were also instructed to have a budget of P100.00 to teach the kids the concept of budgeting and saving at an early age. Walking Trip 3Sadly, we went beyond the budget because my daughter insisted on getting the grapes, which costs P80.00 so we failed on this mission. Oops.

Grocery :)
Grocery 🙂

Next Stop: David’s Salon

The next community helper the students met was the barber. The kids went around David’s Salon and observed what barbers do. Some of them were amazed with the barber cutting a customer’s hair and even kept on asking what the shampoo area is for.

Inside the David's Salon
Inside the David’s Salon

My preschooler didn’t like this part because she’s scared of cutting her hair. She thought that going inside David’s means she has a scheduled haircut and made her apprehensive the entire time.

Kudos to David’s Salon for accommodating 25 kids and for being patient while they are inside.

Next Destination: Green Apple Dental Clinic

It’s time to meet another community helper: the dentist. The kids toured the Green Apple Dental Clinic, got acquainted with the dental tools, and listened to the dentist’s talk about proper oral care and how to take care of a child’s teeth at an early age. The staff also asked each student to sit on the dental chair, although most students freaked out.  Walking Trip 7We were not able to listen entirely to the dentist’s talk because my daughter doesn’t want to stay inside. Sayang. One of the things that struck me was that she reminded every parent in the room to encourage the use of glass instead of bottle for drinking milk, especially at night

Last Stop: Bigoli Walking Trip 8This is my daughter’s most favorite activity. She loves pizza more than anything. She and her schoolmates had a pizza-making activity using the following ingredients, which are all provided by Bigoli:

Dough and white sauceWalking Trip 9Mozzarella cheese Walking Trip 10Bacon Walking Trip 11After wearing their plastic gloves, the students had fun making their own pizza (and just imagine how noisy they were back there). After such, Bigoli baked their pizzas, which took about 10 to 15 minutes.

Finished product
Finished product

Of course, our lunch was pizza courtesy of my daughter. Walking Trip 13What I Like About the Walking Trip

As parents, we are primarily responsible for educating our kids and applying what they learned in real life. However, there are various factors such as work, which could prevent us from bringing our kids in different places and introduce them the things they need to learn as they grow up.

The walking trip gave the students an opportunity to see (and perhaps experience) firsthand what community helpers do. I also appreciate how the teachers gave exercises such as the grocery activity, which allows students to practice what they learned inside the classroom. Aside from the field trip, the walking trip is also a good activity for the students since learning is not limited inside the four corners of the classroom.

Of course, there are boo-boos and instances where kids, especially my daughter won’t cooperate. That’s part of it. After all, kids will always be kids.

Overall, I enjoyed the walking trip as much as my daughter did. There were lots of walking in between, hence the name, but I’m glad her school had activities such as this. I hope they will have another one within the school year.

1. Mommy Charm (TisCharmedLife)

October 18, 2015 at 3:24 pm

It looks like your daughter did have a great time. I wish my son’s school would have activities like these too!

2. Charleys Mommy

October 20, 2015 at 7:55 am

Awwww!!! This is so cute! I bet everyone had a lot of fun! 🙂 thanks for sharing! 🙂

3. Melisa Sanchez

October 20, 2015 at 9:27 am

The kids are pretty cute 🙂 I imagine them walking in groceries and walking in the mall, so cucute nila hehe. This is a great experience and exploring with new environment.

4. BA Isla

October 20, 2015 at 1:14 pm

WOW! I want this too. 🙂 My kids will enjoy this.

5. Kimberley Reyes (@ektreyes)

October 20, 2015 at 11:37 pm

Looks like fun! My daughter’s preschool also has these trips and interactions with community helpers (my husband, a fire fighter is one, and a favorite each year LOL). They don’t do it in malls though but within the school grounds.

October 21, 2015 at 3:36 am

They invite community helpers? That’s fun din 🙂

6. Kat Rodriguez

October 21, 2015 at 2:43 am

They’re so cute pushing they’re own shopping cart. That’s a great educational trip.

7. Fully Housewifed

October 21, 2015 at 3:23 am

Ah yes, I’m becoming more and more aware that the stuff we naturally learned growing up should be intentional now. Pano kasi yang mga kidnappers and holduppers na yan eh, nakakawindang! I used to be able to walk to the neighborhood stores and stroll around our huge village and all and play in the streets na walang matandang kailangan nakabantay. Now iba na!

October 21, 2015 at 3:37 am

That’s true. Iba na panahon ngayon. Yung walking trip lang ng kids, some of my daughter’s schoolmates have bodyguards pa! Nakaka-praning talaga.

8. Maan Laxa

October 21, 2015 at 12:36 pm

So fun! We’ve initially decided to homeschool but there’s no preschool homeschool community here in Davao so it’d be hard to attend these kinds of events. Looking forward to preschool next year!

October 22, 2015 at 2:31 am

Are you scouting for preschool na? You should consider Gymboree. Okay talaga 🙂

9. Pam / Hey, Miss Adventures!

October 21, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Ang saya naman! Parang I wanna join the kids na rin. Ang saya talaga nang mga field trips. 🙂

10. mhaan arambulo-delos santos

October 21, 2015 at 3:30 pm

This looks so much fun. I love the pizza session nagcrave tuloy ako hehehe.

11. Pearliza Paguio

October 21, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Looks like a lot of fun. I would love to experience something like this with my kids. It a great bonding time and learning time for them.

12. Cheanne

October 24, 2015 at 12:33 am

What a nice learning experience! The kids really learn a lot from real life and hands on experiences like this.

13. Rowena Wendy Lei 林露薇 (@animetric)

October 24, 2015 at 3:05 pm

How cute, they’re being taught how to shop in a supermarket this early lol.

14. Celerhina Aubrey

October 24, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Ang cute naman. Very ice idea. 🙂 I love that they get to do stuff outside school.

15. momsterteacher

October 26, 2015 at 9:17 am

Our students also love walking trips. Our consultant says “realia” ingrains ideas into toddlers’ brain much much better than worksheets! 🙂

October 26, 2015 at 3:19 pm

I agree 🙂 I was surprised to hear my daughter talk about the things they do in school. Nakakagulat din na she remembers since learning is incorporated with play :))

16. Eihdra

October 26, 2015 at 1:06 pm

I’ve heard so many good things about this Gymboree Preschool. In fact, one blogger friend enrolled her daughter there and great feedback!

October 26, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Yes, it’s a perfect choice for me. Hassle lang since it’s in the mall and mapapagastos talaga :))

October 27, 2015 at 12:08 am

awwww, ang cute naman. It’s nice that Gymboree has programs like this.

18. nhessie a.

October 31, 2015 at 6:58 pm

awww…ang saya! and the kids are super cute…I love gymboree…and im glad they have activities like this!